"Humanity is slowly shutting down" - Jesse Hasek, 10 Years

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

30 Days of World-Building (Second Edition) - Day 1 - Climate and Variety

Around February and March earlier this year, I conducted a similar project for another work of fantasy. That project has (for now) been filed away, and will be revisited at a later date. Who knows when? Only time will tell. But I digress.

With NaNoWriMo a short two weeks away, I figured I would use this opportunity to prepare myself for the rigorous writing schedule that such an event calls for. The world I will be creating over the next 15 days (two posts a day - against what the project calls for, but I'm running on free time in between college classes) will be used for my up and coming NaNo story.

All I can say right now is this: It will be a supernatural/horror story with elements of Victorian/Gothic style, including the style of dress, architecture, social and judicial construction, and so forth. Perhaps with a twist of steam-punk tossed into the fray. I've always wanted to write something with a steam-punk edge. Perhaps now will be the kick-in-the-pants I need to start writing the damn thing.

Anyway, without further adieu, here is the first post in my Second Edition of 30 Days of World-Building.

Exercise 1 - Find an international map or atlas, and observe the different climates and how they appear and behave. Then, for fifteen minutes, list all the climates you can think of. After that, write one or two words describing either the climate itself, or how each of the climates makes you feel.

Temperate Forest - mysterious, inspiring
Plains - grandeur, happiness
Arctic - bitterness, insecurity
Tundra - cold, barren
Mountainous - majestic, insurmountable
Jungle - wet, dark
Desert - hot, barren
Beachfront - comfortable, carefree

No comments:

Post a Comment