"Humanity is slowly shutting down" - Jesse Hasek, 10 Years

Friday, September 9, 2011

A new plan set in motion

An idea just struck me. A way to make myself read more.

I'm going to try and read one book a week, if not more.Hopefully, this will be a promise I actually keep to myself, and not just another lie I tell myself to make myself feel better. . .

Why do I do things like this? Putting projects off until the last minute? They say you write your best papers at two in the morning. Giving up on promises I make to myself? It's easy to just give up when you don't have anybody but yourself putting pressure. I'm my own worst critic anyway, it doesn't help that I'm also my own worst promise keeper. Countless times before, I've told myself that I will write this many pages of my story today, or I will read this many pages in the assigned reading for my English class. And countless times again, I've given up these promises, giving in to the easy life that is giving up

Today, I swear that ends. I don't care what it will take to get out of this rut. I tell myself that I want to be a writer, yet I haven't written a damn thing for almost a year and a half now. I give writing advice to would-be authors when I don't practice what I preach. This hypocrisy has to stop, once and for all. . .

Fate, if your listening, show me a sign, and I will try to follow. Give me the chance of choice that I long for.

Next week in reading: The Gunslinger by Stephen King

No comments:

Post a Comment